Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend whether spending it with family or stamping. I had a nice quiet weekend in the studio playing along with the Dare to Get Dirty Challenges on Splitcoast. There are only two days left, and I’m really excited about the upcoming challenges. If you follow the link above, you will be able to view the awesome cards that have been uploaded for the challenges.

Just a quick reminder before I start into the stamping babble, Lindsey Botkin is hosting a Lizzie Anne contest on her blog, Embellished. Hop on over there and check it out – you might just win a fabulous prize!

Yesterday I had time enough to participate in one of the Dare to Get Dirty Challenges. It literally took me all day, but I was very pleased with the results and learned something new while I was working. What you ask? Well let me show you the card first and then I’ll go into the details.

Stamps: Wanted and Bronc Buster

Ink: Tim Holtz Old Paper, Brushed Corduroy, Black Soot and Walnut Stain Distress Inks

Paper: Very Vanilla, Basic Black and Outlaw DP

Accessories: Sewing Machine, Making Memory Brads, Sponge Dauber, Alcohol Blending Solution, Felt Pad, Scissors for distressing, Dimensionals, Hemp Twine

This card was made for Lindsey’s (Jacksonbelle) Dare to Get Dirty Challenge. The minute I saw the challenge I knew what stamps, etc., I wanted to use, but got a little sidetracked along the way. The background and sentiment panel are Very Vanilla cardstock with a slight twist to the background. I just recently purchased all the Tim Holtz Distress Inks that I did not already have. I’ve used the alcohol inks for a few years now but have never incorporated them together. I was looking for a way yesterday to move the distress inks across the paper to blend in and give me more dimension. All of a sudden I thought of my alcohol inks and the blending solution that are used with them. I grabbed my case, pulling out the alcohol blending solution and one of the felt pads used to blend the alcohol inks. I soaked the felt with the blending solution and picked up some distress ink from the stamp pad with the felt. The ink moved across the page easily, I could highlight or shade where I needed, and achieved a look that I don’t get with sponging. I am just overjoyed with my ingenuity – little happy dance here – I have new toys and I didn’t even have to buy them!

As a further test, I had stamped a rooster earlier in the day and colored it with the distress inks and really was not pleased with the results – way to dark. Using the same piece of felt and more blending solution, I was able to remove some of the ink from the rooster, highlight the image where needed and was more pleased with the results. I think you will be seeing more of this technique!

I know this post is getting rather long, but I have another card for you today. This card is my sample card for Jeanne’s Dare to Get Dirty Challenge today. I dug out Priceless once again for this challenge, I don’t know if it’s because it’s new or that I just simply adore all the stamps in this set. I love using the little flair with the butterfly as a flight pattern but even better than that, the flair makes a fabulous background and you can go absolutely crazy stamping it. All the edges of the white panels are sponged with Soft Sky and there are stickles outlining the flowers and the flair of the butterfly. Rhinestones decorate the flower centers and the butterfly’s wings.


Stamps: Priceless

Ink: Soft Sky, Blue Bayou

Paper: Whisper White, Soft Sky, Blue Bayou

Accessories: Crystal Stickles, Doodlebug Lily White Jewels, Mounting Tape, Blue Bayou Stitched Ribbon

I hope you join us in the Challenges today and look forward to seeing what you create!

© 2015 Suffusion theme by Sayontan Sinha